Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Growth Mindset


Before watching this video and learning more about Carol Dweck I had never heard of her before or even really heard the term "growth mindset" before. The concept, however, is not one that is foreign to me and one that has been instilled in my by various teachers, coaches and even friends through out the years. I think this mindset was particularly evident in my AP Stats class where the teacher did not really care what you came into the class knowing, but was very insistent that if you put your mind to it, you could learn everything that you needed to know. He was a big believer in this growth mindset and that there is no reason that somebody should not be able to grow their mind if they put the work in. With this unique approach to learning, he, unsurprisingly, had some of the best test scores in the school.
This semester I would like to have a similar approach to school and this class. I plan on taking the MCAT this semester and I need to study for that but at the same time I am not as stressed as some of my other friends studying for it as I know that as long as I put the time and work in, I am confident I will end up doing fine. I like to take that same approach to many things that I do. Even though there are some things might quite literally be out of my reach, like being a professional basketball player, I know that at most things I can work hard at and at least become competent at them. I think this is a big part in the growth mindset.      




Image result for growth mindset

Growing your mind by exercising it

No comments:

Post a Comment